Church of the icon of Mother of God ‘Joy of All Who Sorrow’ – renovation and recreation
Best Implemented Restoration / Reconstruction Project
About the project
The five-domes one-apse church of the icon of the Mother of God ‘Joy of All Who Sorrow’ (with Coins) was constructed in 1884—1898 as designed by Alexander von Gogen and Alexander Ivanov. It was closed in 1932 and exploded in 1933. First renovation works started in 1996, although major survey and design proceedings were undertaken only in 2015. Using the surviving iconography, the experts restored the architectural project of the church, developed projects to restore its icon-stand, and interior graphic decorations. Today, all the construction works have been completed, and interior painting works are being finalized.
24 Obukhovskoy Oborony, St. Petersburg, Russia
Project implementation year
Extra visual materials (photos, videos etc.)
Applicant and authors of the project